Trash / Recycling Services
Haltom City residents are offered twice-a-week pickup of garbage by Waste Connections.
There are Two Trash Pickup Cycles:
- Tuesday and Friday
- Monday and Thursday
The service includes pickup of normal household waste and ongoing bulk pickup of some items. There are some restrictions and some alternative options.
Trash & Recycling rates were updated in August 2023 and go in to effect October 1, 2023. View the Trash & Recycling rates (PDF).
Download the Map with Pick-up Days (PDF) to see a file of the city with the respective designated pick-up days. Recycling is picked up on the first of your two designated cycle days.
If you have any questions about any of the services contact the City's trash and recycling provider, Waste Connections, at 817-222-2221.
Haltom City residents are offered twice-a-week pickup of garbage by Waste Connections. The service includes pickup of normal household waste and on-going bulk pickup of some items. There are some restrictions and some alternative options. Please have trash and/or recycling out for pickup by 7:00 a.m. Waste Connections begins their routes at 7:00 a.m. and typically finish by 7:00 p.m. Trash cans, bags or any other items that weigh more than 50 pounds will not be picked up.
By city ordinance, trash containers can remain at the curb no longer than 24 hours. You may set your containers at the curb at 7:00 p.m. the evening before your pickup. You must pick up your containers by 7:00 p.m. the day of your pickup. Total weight of a bag and its contents may not exceed 50 pounds. A portable garbage container, 10 gallons to 32 gallons in size, made of galvanized iron, tin, high impact plastic or other suitable material, with two handles and a tight-fitting cover, is also acceptable. Items must be placed within six feet of the curb. If trash is placed at any other location, the service is considered elective (backdoor) service, and there will be an additional charge. Backdoor service is offered for both trash and recycling pickup. Limbs, leaves, grass and brush must still be placed at the curb. These items will not be picked up from any location other than the curb.
If you are placing personal trash cans and/or trash bags out for pickup, along with your Waste Connections trash cart, please leave a three foot space between your trash cans and the Waste Connections trash cart. There should be a minimum of three feet between the Waste Connections trash cart and any other obstacle, such as your personal trash cans, mailboxes, vehicles, etc.
Observed holidays are Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. If your trash/recycling pickup day falls on one of these holidays, please place your trash and/or recycling out on the next regularly scheduled pickup day for your cycle.
Any missed pickups of residential garbage will be collected the same business day if notification to Waste Connections is provided by 2:00 p.m. on that day. If notification is received later than 2:00 p.m. service will be provided on the next business day. Please call Waste Connections at 817-222-2221.
Recycling bins can be picked up at the Utility Billing counter in City Hall:
5024 Broadway Avenue
Haltom City, TX 76117
Recycling is picked up the first day of your twice weekly trash/refuse service. If your address is serviced Tuesdays and Fridays then recycling would be picked up on Tuesdays. For Monday and Thursday service your recycling would be picked up on Mondays.
The following items are accepted under the City's recycling service contract:
- Metal Cans: Rinse and drain your metal food cans composed of tin, steel or aluminum and place loose in your bin. It is not necessary to remove the label, but please remove the lids and all food waste.
- Aluminum: Rinse all aluminum drink cans.
- Glass: Place glass jars and bottles loose in your bin. Colored glass is accepted.
- Plastic: Rinse and place soft drink liter bottles and milk jugs in your bin. You may now also include numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 plastics. Shampoo bottles are accepted. Please remove all caps.
- Paper: Place Dry newspaper, magazines, catalogs and other paper items such as mail, paper bags or other paper in the bottom of your bin. Slick or glossy inserts are accepted with the newspaper. Be sure that the newspaper is secured so that it doesn't fly away. Telephone books will only be accepted when the new books are distributed by Southwestern Bell Telephone.
If you have any questions about what is/isn't acceptable please call Waste Connections at 817-222-2221.
Brush will be picked up at the curb if it is cut into four-foot lengths and bundled. Bundles should not exceed 50 pounds in weight. Waste Connections will not haul away piles of unbundled brush and limbs.
Removal of large items such as furniture, stoves, and water heaters, heating units and any other appliances or similar bulky items from residential properties will normally occur on the same day as your 2nd scheduled pickup during the week. If the item is not picked up on the 2nd day pickup, it is recommended you wait a few days before notifying us, as Waste Connections may send a separate truck if an item is particularly bulky. Refrigerators, freezers and air conditional units will only be picked up if the resident supplies a certificate from a certified technician that CFCs (chlorinated fluorocarbons) have been properly removed.
Residents can use the Waste Connections Center, located at 2120 Minnis Dr. (see the following "Residential Bulk Drop-Off Service" section ).
Hazardous waste can be disposed of at the Environmental Collection Center. You will be required to show your driver's license and Haltom City water bill. All loads must be tarped and please, no more than one bed-level pickup worth of trash.
Waste Connections Bulk Drop-Off Station
2120 Minnis Dr.
Haltom City, TX 76117
Haltom City residents have access to the Waste Connections bulk drop-off station. Residents are limited to 4 bulk drop-offs or 1 ton of disposed debris in a 12-month period, whichever occurs first. All loads will be regulated and defined by the Transfer Station staff. Residents are charged a fee for utilizing the convenience center once they reach their volume/weight limit. Please bring your driver's license and water bill as proof of residency. No other utility bill will be accepted.
Waste Connections requires patrons utilizing this drop-off station to wear a hard hat and a safety vest. Haltom City residents can either:
- Purchase these items at the drop-off station - $13 for hard hat and vest (this is sold at cost)
- Bring their own hard hat and safety vest
- Borrow these items from staff when they arrive
Acceptable materials include residential/household refuse, appliances and construction/demolition materials. The center also accepts materials for recycling. There is no charge to drop off recyclables. Acceptable items include glass/metal food containers, paper, cardboard and plastic containers. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays 8:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Residents need to be in and out no later than 4:00 p.m. during the week and 11:00 a.m. on Saturdays. Loads must be received and unloaded prior to closing.
For fees and information call 817-834-6638.
Waste Connections is not, by contract, required to remove any construction or remodeling materials, demolished buildings or debris. Hazardous waste, fecal matter, oil, sludge and any radioactive, pathological, toxic, acidic or volatile materials, dirt, concrete, rocks, bricks and large pieces of steel will not be picked up. Arrangements may be made with Waste Connections for a special pickup of some of the excluded items for an additional cost. If you would like a quote from Waste Connections for a special pickup, call them at 817-222-2221.
DFW Reclaimers offers residents the opportunity to dispose of electronic items for recycling. A list of items accepted is listed in the following. To qualify for a free pickup, at least one PC or laptop must be among the items and the following items are accepted at no charge:
- Telecommunication Equipment
- Medical Electronic Equipment
- Storage Cabinets
- Batteries (Household, vehicle, laptops, and UPS)
- Network Cabinets
- Cell Phones Scanners
- Video Game Consoles
- CRT and LCD Monitors
- Audio/Visual Equipment
- Power Supplies and UPS
- Household Appliances and all grades of metal
Items accepted for a fee:
- Televisions (fee based on size, $1 an inch if the television is dropped off at our warehouse, $2 an inch to pick up)
- Freon recovery - $25 - any appliance containing freon must be empty or this fee applies to properly remove
- On-site hard drive destruction - determined by the number of hard drives
- Excessive amounts of CRTs - determined by the number and only applies if there are no PCs or the PC/CRT ratio is significantly different
Due to an inter-local agreement with the city of Fort Worth, Haltom City residents can drop off household hazardous waste at the Environmental Collection Center (ECC), located at 6400 Bridge Street in Fort Worth. Fertilizers, pesticides, oil, anti-freeze, paint, etc. should not be put out with your trash. This is a free service...however you must show proof of residency. Call the ECC at 817-392-1234.
Hours of operation are Thursday and Friday, 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Automotive fluids
- Cleaners and chemicals
- Cooking oil
- Lawn/garden/pool chemicals
- Light bulbs
- Paint and painting supplies
Things not accepted:
- Ammunition and Explosives
- Appliances and electronics
- Building materials
- Bulk trash and yard waste
- Butane/propane cylinders
- Medicines and Medical waste
- Asbestos/PCBs/radioactive items
Business, commercial and industrial waste cannot be accepted under Texas regulations.
Residents of other participating entities should contact their garbage/recycling programs for disposal information.
- Time to Recycle and Earth911 is another resource for North Central Texas recycling options for residential, commercial and industrial customers
- The EPA offers information on a variety of non-hazardous materials recovered for recycling in the United States
- The TCEQ encourages consumers to take advantage of local electronics recycling opportunities. Texas consumers can learn how to recycle their computer equipment by visiting Texas Recycles Computers and their television equipment by visiting Texas Recycles TVs. For more information on the programs, contact the TCEQ's Pollution Prevention and Education Section, 512-239-3143.